Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chinese Woman in 1900's

The revolution affected ''the lowest of low'' chinese woman. Due to the fact that money was so low, husbands then offered their wives or daughters to strangers to keep their family from starvation. The woman in the factories had it a little better, even though they were still beaten and locked up if they were to make a mistake. In the 1900's Chinese men also felt they were higher then woman and for ages men were always the most educated with jobs while the woman do the house work. China needed money and power,and the best thing for them were to use all of their woman and families on the farms to accumulate wealth. Most land owners had more then one wife, what could be worse then having your own personal pleasure and gaining labor and power. Chiang Chi-Sheck the ruler at the time was headed downhill when the communist and supporters of the women's revolt began to step in and help set up associations and help with assisting these woman in their years of struggle. In the revolution of 1925-27 unions were formed for woman, there was a rise in bobbed headed girls and it was the setting stone for all the woman who had died before them. In the reaction over 1,000 woman were killed and if you were to have bobbed hair you were then executed. The revolution and reaction shows just how important woman are to china and they felt if death was necessary for them to grow then it was worth it.

“‘Is it right for you to treat me like this? There is much that I could say. If I should speak, all these women would beat you to death.’
Gold Flower- Norch China Village girl, became so upset about the way she was treated she wanted to commit suicide.



8 comments:

  1. That sounds awufl. I'm guessing your arguement was that this discrimination against women was totally wrong. I too agree and am glad that people have come to respect and appreciate women. Why were they executed if they had bobbed hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the women were treated very badly and the men got to do whatever they pleased. I am happy that the world has come to respect women and their rights, I agree with your arguement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is interesting. It is amazing how far the world has come. It is not perfect, nor will it ever be, but the improvements over the years in china are outstanding. I can't picture what it must have been like to live in those times. Donating your wife to keep your family alive is crazy and unjust. It makes me more thankful for all that I have today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kind of behavior is disgusting, I cannot imagine giving away my family member to a stranger just because I was hungry. It is so sad what women had to suffer though before we gained rights, unfortunately women in china are still not treated with respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not even think about having my dad give me away or my mom to someone for money! and also, i think its so wrong that woman had to be treated like they were dogs. I agree with you jourdan that this was so wrong in everyway. Im glad that today we have more rights and more freedoms

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it hard to believe how brutal China is to women there. Being that there is only one women to every three men, it's difficult to imagine how much of a nuisance they were to most men in the country. That cruel activity sickens me, and I see no reason to move forward with it any longer, with hope, things may change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly why I posted it, to show people ow far we have came, but to never let go of the wrong. That is and never will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did things change when the communists came into power? How much did women contribute to the revolution? This would be an interesting discussion because we generally think of the communists as being weak on human rights (and they are), but conditions for women may actually have improved.

    ReplyDelete